Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm Off to the Anglican Use Conference

My recent bout of frequent blogging will be on hold for at least the next few days. My husband and I are off today to San Antonio, TX, for the annual Anglican Use Conference, July 10-12. Although we are not part of an Anglican Use parish, we are members of the AU Society, and we travelled to Rome last September with the AU Pilgrimage. We expect to see many of our fellow Rome pilgrims in San Antonio, so in part this will be a Rome reunion. It is always a joy in any case to be in the company of fellow Catholics who crossed the Tiber from Canterbury. (See a previous entry on the subject here.)

Among the scheduled speakers is Jeffrey N. Steenson (pictured at left), formerly the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of the Rio Grande, who was received into the Catholic Church last December. The news of his conversion broke on the day before we left Rome last September to return to the U.S. Many of our fellow pilgrims are from Texas and know Dr. (for now, at least--more here) Steenson, so it was very joyous news for them--and for all of us. Another conference speaker is Archbishop of Newark John Myers, who is the Ecclesiastical Delegate for the Pastoral Provision in the U.S. What with all the goings-on in the Anglican Communion these days, there should be no lack of things to talk about!

The host of this year's conference is Our Lady of The Atonement Catholic Church (pictured above), the first Anglican Use parish established in the U.S. Their pastor, Fr. Christopher G. Phillips, was also one of the first American priests ordained under the Pastoral Provision. Fr. Phillips has an excellent blog, Atonement Online.

More next week when we return home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really excited to meet you after Mass today in San Antonio.

Yes, I know I mentioned it several times during our brief encounter while awaiting Deacon.

I look forward to your blog on the Anglican Use Conference. You are a gifted writer.

Peggy

Heide said...

Thank you, Peggy, for introducing yourself to us yesterday. It's good to know I'm not just talking to myself on this forum :-) and that my scratchings are appreciated. I hope to see you again sometime--perhaps at next year's AU Conference? - Heide